Sunday, August 15, 2010

EAT, PRAY, LOVE...2010...Julia Roberts at her best

This could have been called Walk, Sit, Smile. As our hero rushed out of her ordinary world, she became a traveler, a thinker, a mimic, a devout even thoughtful character. I cried through this whole movie. I kept wondering why as I walked away from the theater and down toward the waterfront to catch the last bits of sunset. What had I learned from this film? Certainly, my lessons are not the same, but I feel for her as she experiences pain . I ache for the lost, the compassless, the grieving. This film opened a stranger's medicine cabinet, and allowed viewers ample opportunities to recognize that the perscriptions have our names inscribed on them. We feel for Julia. In many ways, as any good story should, we feel we are not simply like the hero, but that we are the hero. My story may not take me around the world, but the obstacles, the triumphs, the discoveries, the journey itself : these are the same. My compass, however, is the Jesus and His word. Without it, I too would likely find myself on a similarly blunderous journey listening to all voices longing for the one that sounds most like a father.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are way deeper than I! I went with Denise and we just could not like the Julia character. We felt she was very selfish and hurtful in the way she treated her husband. Life is not easy and we are pretty certain when she was asking God what she should do, he did not tell her to divorce her husband. I could see that it was a movie about self-discovery, but I just didn't really care about her much after that. I guess maybe I took the story to personal, wouldn't we all at one time or another like to just leave and escape our problems and "find ourselves"? But thats not how life really is, we just need to continually lean on God and know that He is all we need to make it through. I totally admit when I go to movies I do not usually go to the deep and serious flicks, I go to be entertained and laugh, and cry, so this movie seemed to move very slow for us. Do you know if she ever ended up with her Brazilian "lover", we are guessing no, and every where we checked on the internet did not say who her current husband was.

    ReplyDelete