Saturday, November 21, 2009

2012...Cusak. No Joke.


Somehow, John Cusack can even make the end of the world seem like a glib 80's party. I actually enjoyed the effects without having any kind of emotional response. The scenes in LA were a Disney ride. The characters were lackluster enough for me to care little if they were swallowed up in the mass inundation of the planet.    I felt like they could have titled this film "The 2nd Flooding" or "Cusack Builds an Ark" or "John Almighty." The intertwining love stories forced a happy ending despite the virtual destruction of the planet.  Love blossoms between the president's daughter (The president was played by none other than the ever-amiable Danny Glover.) and the scientist who becomes a hero when he stands on his moral convictions to save the final few hundred people in the last lemming-like sequences.  
I left my seat in the theater feeling like I had just sat through Titanic 2.  Reminiscent.  Minus the stark empathy and sadness  - an even sadder truth in light of an apocalyptic obliteration.  John and his ex-wife Amanda Peet rekindle their original fire and potty-train their daughter who announces the final line of the movie, "No more pull-ups." Glib. 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Hey SPlatter! This is really cool! :) "Mon petit chou"... my teachers used to call me that in French school! As well as "mon petit puce" (lice) and others ;)

    ReplyDelete